Just like your interior ambiance, your exterior view is also important because it’s one of the spots that many people can see directly. Moreover, it’s the best spot when it comes to coziness and fresh ambiance to do various joyful activities. Therefore, decorating it beautifully may enhance both the vibe and overall look. There are tons of decoration styles to use and one of the common ones is string lights or fairy lights.
String lights are very popular items for the past few years for its effect that can create a dreamy finish. It’s usually used in a bedroom but not limited to use outdoors. Some people may find it easier and aesthetic when they hang them on the tree. However, some houses may not have trees due to some reasons like a small area or ground problems.
(You may also love this: Dazzling Backyard Pool Ideas That Will Enhance Your Outdoor View)
So, just because you don’t have trees in your backyard, does it mean that it’s impossible to install fairy lights? Absolutely no! If you’re planning to hang fairy lights without trees in your backyard, we’re here to back you up with some inspirations. Just keep scrolling!
How To Hang String Lights In Backyard Without Trees
1. Make Sure to Measure
The first detail that every homeowner has to make sure of is the size of the surface that will be used. In this case, please make sure the length of the string lights is enough to cover or ‘good’ enough to decorate the spot you’re planning to make more stunning.
This way, you can also take extra caution just in case you need an extended cord when it’s far from the outlet. By knowing the width of the surface and string lights’ length, you can also create your own design so it looks more eye-catching.
(You may also love this: Attractive Cozy Backyard Ideas You Will Fall In Love Immediately)
2. Patio Cover or Pergola Decoration
Who needs trees if you have a patio cover or pergola in your backyard? Instead of thinking about how to get trees, you might want to use it to decorate a patio cover or pergola. The steps are quite simple and easy:
- Just like the first step, you have to make sure the layout of the pergola or patio cover and the distance from the outlet.
- If you have the desired design or layout, you can first make a raw draft to make sure everything in your plan.
- It’s indeed much easier to have supports to hang the string lights but if it’s not available, you can use hooks or nails as additional supports.
(You may also love this: 10+ Attractive Backyard Inspiration Ideas You Have to Check Out)
3. Make Your Own Post
This method is for you who don’t have a pergola or patio ceiling to hang the string lights. You can make your own post as supports and spread it across the backyard. To make this feature, you will need some supplies and materials:
Supplies and tools you will need to make posts are:
- Buckets or planters
- Concrete mix
- Wood post or pipes
- Nails or hooks
The steps are:
- This step is optional for you who want to make the bucket or planter looks more colorful, you can use paint to colorize it and do this step before everything to make your work easier.
- Make a concrete mix by following the manufacturer’s instructions to know the amount that you need.
- Once you’re done with the mixing, place the post in the middle of the buckets or planters and fill it in with the mix.
- Please make sure to use another support to make sure that the processed supports are even until they dry.
- Once they’re dry, attach hooks or nails to hang the string lights.
(You may also love this: 10+ Backyard Oasis Ideas to Freshen Up Your Backyard Ambiance)
4. Optimize Your Fence
Just like the wall of the bedroom, this is a classic way to hang string lights without any hassle and super easy. This step is easier for you who have a wood or vinyl fence because these fence types have posts and planks. A few tools that you will need are hooks or nails with the steps:
- Once you know the length of the string lights and the distance between each post, use hooks or nails as supports.
- By using a hammer, fasten each support and you’re ready to hang string lights along your backyard fence.
(You may also love this: Sophisticated Modern Backyard Ideas for Trendy Backyard View)
If you’re not sure what to do with your fairy lights, it’s now the right time to use it in the backyard. Grab your tools and materials and start to brighten up your outdoors now!