4 Tips On How to Pick Slipcovers for Living Room Furniture
When your furniture becomes aged and shows its tired appearance, you might want to hide or change it to make it looks fresher. However, we’re sure that purchasing a new furniture set will come to the very last option since it’s too pricey to buy often. One of the methods that you can do to make your furniture looks new is by using slipcovers.
Slipcovers come with various fabrics, patterns, colors, and textures so you can choose the one that matches your preferred concept. Just like wallpaper, you can swap it based on the theme, concept, or even season that you want. It also helps to protect your furniture from spills, dust and scratches if you have children or pets.
(You may also love these: Stunning Cozy Living Room Ideas for Your Gathering Space)
How to Pick Slipcovers for Living Room Furniture
1. Measure Furniture Size
You can say you pick the best choice when the slipcovers fit your furniture perfectly because you don’t want to use the one that is too big nor too small. Yes, measuring your furniture size really helps to get the right size of the slipcovers.
- Measure the length of the sofa or couch from the outside edge of one arm to the outside edge of the other arm.
- Then, measure the depth from the front of the couch to the back.
- The last step is to measure the height from the floor to the top of your seat cushions and the bottom part because some slipcovers have a pleated or ruffled accent at the bottom.
2. Mix and Match
Basically, slipcovers are quite similar to wallpaper since you can choose the one that suits your preference or the mood you want to create based on its colors, patterns, and textures.
- Covers with draper or ruffled accents at the bottom are suitable for rustic farmhouse and shabby chic concepts.
- Floral patterns are best if you want to match the spring vibe. It’s also suitable for a shabby chic decorating style.
Please make sure that it’s easy to remove since you don’t want to spend so much time swapping each cover.
(You may also love these: 6 Points to Consider: How to Choose Furniture for Living Room)
3. Slipcovers Types
There are various slipcovers types that are usually divided into two types: fitted and non-fitted types that have their own plus and minus.
These types are probably the most common type that you can find easily at any retail and are usually fit the standard furniture size.
- You just need to tuck and pin it properly to the furniture, otherwise, the fabric might wrinkle.
- For budget-wise, this type is the most cost-effective and works well in a high-traffic so you don’t need to worry when you need to wash it because most of this type is washable.
(You may also love these: A Guide to Styling Your Interiors Around Red Hues)
- A custom slipcover is suitable to get your own unique slipcover style from the look, fabric, pattern, color, and concept.
- As for the size, you can get the perfect one since it will be measured directly from your living room.
- You may have to spend an extra budget because custom-made stuff is quite expensive in general.
- This slipcover is not always machine washable, so you will need to consider this point as well.
Semi-custom slipcovers are right between the ready-made and custom types.
- There are slightly more options than a ready-made but still limited compared to the custom one.
- As for the price, you will need to spend a little more budget but still less than a custom one.
- This slipcover type can fit a specific piece of furniture but better than a ready-made type.
- For the cleaning process, you can still find some of them that are washing machine-friendly.
- In some cases, semi-custom slipcovers are available with separate cushion covers.
(You may also love these: Things to Consider When Decorating Your Living Room)
4. The Right Materials
The last tip that is also important to determine the overall look and longevity is the fabric or materials.
- Choose a durable material, especially if the furniture has a high traffic flow.
- Choose waterproof or stainproof materials if you have active children or pets.
- Some materials that are machine washable are twill, denim, cotton, polyester, linen, and spandex.
- You can also choose a practical and functional cover with dark patterns or accents so they can hide stains well or a reversible one.
(You may also love these: 5 Exquisite Ideas To Design Your Walls)
We hope that these tips can help you to choose the best slipcovers for your living room furniture so it becomes more decorative, neater, and long-lasting. Happy experimenting!