How to Plan a Backyard Fence | 4 Tips to Know
Installing a fence for your backyard is something that is really important to make sure that your backyard is safe from unwanted visitors. Also, it can prevent your children and pets from going outside when they’re playing around. Just because a fence is something that is installed outside and exposed to any weather doesn’t mean that you can just choose the one that you want. There are some points that you have to consider before installing a fence from the budget and its maintenance. If you’re planning to install a fence and looking for some tips, you’re on the right page!
(You might also like this: 10+ Backyard Decoration Ideas to Beautify Your Outdoors)
How to Plan a Perfect Backyard Fence
When it comes to installing a fence, some things that you have to consider are:
- What material will I choose for the fence? – This will definitely affect the price of the product overall.
- How much does it cost to buy? – Again, each material has its own pros, cons, and market that you have to think carefully about.
- How much does it cost to install? – If the fence is made of materials that you can install by yourself, you will be able to save more for other stuff.
- Do I need to hire a professional? – However, if you need professional help, you have to account for this as well in your budgeting plan.
- How much does it cost to maintain? – Some materials might need regular maintenance to keep them looks clean and ‘new’ and the process might need some chemical products to use.
(You might also like this: 4 Easy Guides On How To Hang String Lights In Backyard Without Trees)
2. The Needs
Prioritize your needs based on these points:
- Security: It means that you need something to protect your children and pets and prevent them from going outside. For this purpose, you will need a fence that is made of sturdy materials with proper height and tight space between each board.
- Privacy: This purpose is usually if you have an outdoor hot tub or swimming pool so you want to make sure it’s free from unwanted sight from outside. For this one, you will have to choose a complete solid fence that has no space between boards.
- Aesthetic: Last but not least, you just simply want a fence that works as a protection feature but also looks attractive. This fence style has tons of options that you can choose from with various designs and prices.
(You might also like this: 10+ Backyard Oasis Ideas to Freshen Up Your Backyard Ambiance)
There are various common materials that are often used for a fence:
- Wood: This is the most versatile material that you can choose to use in your backyard. Not only because it’s quite affordable also it lets you decorate the way you want from height, style, and size. Wood is also a material that you can install by yourself so you don’t have to spend an extra budget on hiring a professional.
- Metal: The popular fence that is made of metal is a chain-link fence and it’s suitable for homeowners who have pets and want to keep them inside. A chain-link fence is also affordable and easy to install. The other types of metal fencings are wrought and cast iron that might need help from professionals.
- PVC or Vinyl: Another common fence material that becomes popular among many homeowners is PVC or vinyl. As its name suggests, this fence is made of plastic so if you need something strong and sturdy, you might need something else.
(You might also like this: Dazzling Backyard Pool Ideas That Will Enhance Your Outdoor View)
Based on the point above, you might want to keep in mind how to maintain each material:
- Wood. Wood can be materials that are quite affordable and easy to install but you have to make sure that it needs regular maintenance for about 2-3 years to apply new stain or repaint. If you’re planning to use wood for your backyard fencing, you need to plan the budget for this process as well.
- Metal. Metal fencing is basically a maintenance-free, sturdy, and long-lasting material because you don’t have to restain or repaint it. Since it’s made of metal, the only problem that it might face is rust.
- Vinyl. Just like metal, it doesn’t really need regular maintenance, will not rust nor rot. However, since it’s a quite hollow material, you might want to consider the cost of reparation if it breaks or cracks by active children, pets, or bad weather.
(You might also like this: Attractive Cozy Backyard Ideas You Will Fall In Love Immediately) Those are some tips that you can use as an ultimate reference before installing a fence in your backyard. Happy planning!