Every homeowner will have a time when they want to update the look of their room whether it’s the overall look or specific furniture. This usually happens when you want to match the entire vibe with the season so it looks more attractive. Painting furniture can be one of the best ways to add a different look to any room, including a dining room where you gather with family members and friends.
How to Repaint Dining Tables
Painting your furniture is a great way to get a new look without spending more budget to get a new one. Before starting the painting process, there are some basic tools and supplies that you have to prepare:
- Protective gear
- Drop cloth
- Soft cloth, paper towel, or hand vacuum cleaner
- Paint rollers
- Polyurethane gloss finish (optional)
- Painter tape (optional)
- Spray paint (optional
Make a Smooth Surface
Make sure you’re in a well-ventilated area since you’ll be facing the paint and its smell. Also, please ensure to wear your protective gear such as gloves, eyewear, and face mask.
- Lay a drop cloth as the base of the table to prevent the paint from dripping to the floor.
- Use sandpaper to clean your paint area to make the painting process goes smoothly. Just like how you paint a wall, please ensure that the surface is free from all barriers and previous paint that prevent the new paint from spreading smoothly.
- If you have a surface that you don’t want to paint, you might want to use tape to mark that specific area.
- Once you’re done with the sand process, wipe the residue with a paper towel, soft cloth, or hand vacuum cleaner.
Priming the Surface
The next step is applying a primer to make a smoother base for the paint.
- Apply a thin layer of primer paint to the finished table that you have sanded before. In this step, please make sure to coat evenly to every part of the surface.
- If there’s a small part that needs more detailed work, use spray paint or a small brush to reach that part.
- Once you finish, let it dry before continuing to the next step.
When it comes to choosing the paint, there are various types of paints that you can use based on your needs.
- For the first application, you might need about two layers of paint to make a flawless finish using brushes.
- Use rollers to wipe away the brush strokes for the last coat if the first two layers are not smooth enough.
- Usually, you can mix some colors with latex or regular paints. However, in some cases, the finished hand feel and texture is quite difficult to clean and leave wipe marks when you clean it.
- For oil-based paints. some people prefer this more because it’s more durable and easy to clean. The minus point of this paint type is that it smells and takes more time to dry. Also, oil-based paints have limited color variations that might not be your style.
- If the result is enough for you, you can stop here. If not, then you will have to repeat the step after the previous layer dries.
- If you would like to add another protection to the table, cover it with another layer of polyurethane by using a specific brush to apply it.
- Once all the steps are done, let it dry for about 48 or 72 hours before you use it again. When it’s dry, clean the surface once again to make sure that you get your desired dining table.
Now take a look at your dining table and do a retouch to make it shine even more!