Brick patios are one of the popular outdoor features due to their natural charm that gives a beautiful classic rustic and old vibe. Still, no matter how beautiful brick patios are, they still need regular maintenance to keep their natural look. If you use a brick patio as the base of sitting or dining areas, it will mostly be placed in a covered/covered area that will cause mold, mildew, and unwanted weed. In this case, you would want to clean and maintain your patio to look beautiful as always.
(You may also love this: Attractive Covered Patio Ideas for Your Extra Comfort)
We have some tips that you can do to maintain your brick patios by yourself!
How to Maintain Brick Patios
#1 Homemade Cleaning Solution
Some tools and supplies that you will have to prepare are:
- Protective gears (gloves and goggles/eyewear)
- Bleach/borax/baking soda/vinegar
- Stiff-bristle brush/broom
- A garden hose
The steps are very simple so you can use these to clean your brick patio regularly:
- If you use bleach or borax, please make sure to wear protective gear.
- Mix a gallon of warm water with a cup of one of the supplies (bleach/borax/baking soda/vinegar).
- Apply the solution in a small area so it doesn’t dry on the patio.
- Use a stiff-bristle brush or broom, scrub the area with mold or mildew.
- Once you’re done, rinse the spot by using a garden hose with normal pressure.
- Repeat another step if it’s needed.
(You may also love this: Chic Patio Fireplace Ideas to Enhance Your Cozy Outdoor Seating)
#2 Power Washing
For this step, you will need a special tool that you can buy, rent, or borrow because not all homeowners have this tool. Just like the name, it’s a cleaning tool that can remove stains on a brick patio. However, one thing that you have to make sure of is not to use maximum pressure because it may damage your brick instead. If you’re not sure about this step, we recommend contacting an expert for help.
Another problem that will happen in a brick patio is unwanted grass that grows between the joints of the paver. As for this step, you can do it weekly or even daily if you spot weeds. To make sure that it grows slowly, please make sure that you pull them out from the roots. If you’re planning to do a total cleaning with the solution, you might want to do this step first, clean the dirt, and go to the cleaning next.
(You may also love this: Chic Front Patio Ideas for More Attractive Front Look)
#4 Polymeric Sand
Using polymeric sand can be one of the methods to prevent weeds and grass from growing. If you want to use polymeric sand, there are some important points that you have to follow, such as:
- Choose a high-quality type and don’t be swayed with a cheap one!
- Compacting is a very important step to make sure that the sand well-applied to the brick patio.
- Mix with enough water because if the water is too much or little, the polymers won’t set properly.
Again, this method may need a designated tool that you can borrow or rent from an expert.
#5 Regular Cleaning
Doing regular cleaning is the best way to keep everything controlled. This will go well to prevent weeds from growing because you can do it every day by pulling them out. If you have difficulty with some weed types, you might want to use a chemical weed cleaner.
(You may also love this: Enclosed Patio Ideas to Make Your Chilling Space Look Stylish)
We hope that these easy guides could help you to keep your brick patio shines and attractive as ever!